Tuesday 19 July 2011

Cleaned and polished

Today I can add another sub-title to my ever expanding repertoire in my vocation as 'Mummy'. Teeth. Human and canine.

This evening I spent half an hour coaxing my five year old daughter, Chloe, to open her mouth wide enough so I could extract a raspberry seed which had been stubbornly wedged between her two back teeth for the past few days. It is understandable that she found it hard to believe that the dentists' spike I'd found at the back of my husbands side of the medicine cabinet and now wielded in front of her face would indeed offer any relief to her discomfort. After resorting to the "you do trust Mummy don't you?" line, she eventually yielded and allowed me an inch of entry. It took some prising, but finally the seed popped out. Relieved that Mummy had removed the scary spikey thing from her mouth she clamped it shut. Visualising the cause of all this disturbance and the prize of my efforts disappearing down her throat, I shouted louder than I intended, "No, don't swallow". She obediently opened and miraculously there was the seed resting on her tongue. With it safely on my finger I handed it to her, certain she would treat it with the reverence I did. Instead, she flicked it on the floor, leapt up and strutted off to her room without even a thank you. "Can I have a book now Mummy?". Incident over.

With teeth on the mind and the children in bed. I decided tonight was the night to open the toothbrush and meat flavoured toothpaste I'd bought for our dog, Rosie. Advised by the vet that teeth care in dogs is just as important as it is in humans, I was doing my upmost to be a diligent dog owner. I imagined brushing dog's teeth would be a completely different ballgame to childrens, but I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was. Dare I go as far as to say, it is easier. It wasn't long ago that I had to straddle my toddler on the floor to get anywhere near his teeth, whereas Rosie, only slightly fazed by the sensation of a brush in her mouth, was good naturedly compliant. I found it strangely satisfying to brush her slightly yellowing teeth to a brilliant white shine, enough to give any celebrity a run for their money. Whatever is in that meat toothpaste it is good stuff and could put a lot of dentists offering whitening treatments out of business. I could do with a bit myself...

So now, with three sets of teeth brushed, as always, Mummy comes last. But at least I can brush mine in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment