Monday 8 August 2011

Short Circuits and swords...


Little boys are dangerous, or mine certainly is! We've just returned from a fortnight's stay with Grandma and Grandpa and I plan to batten down the hatches and lay low for a few days in the vague hope it may prevent any further dramas!

Last week we visited a castle and on passing a stall selling toy helmets and swords, I decided that my two year old was now of a suitable age to play with such items in a relatively safe manner. I had been putting off the inevitable fighting role play for as long as possible and felt guilty I was depriving him of his natural instincts. Hey, we were in a safe environment, all the other kids had them and he had his big sister and three adults to keep him in check. I couldn't have been more wrong! With helmet on he pulled the sword from its sheath with film star perfection and immediately adopted a professional looking en garde pose. Where did he learn that? I can only assume it is embedded deep within his genetic make-up somewhere. Not wanting to be outdone by her baby brother, my daughter followed suit (this was after I relented and bought two sets instead of the one I originally said they could share. Huh, who was I kidding). A vicious dual then commenced around the castle grounds, up the steep steps and along the battlements. It was a sight both to adore and wince at. Of course it ended in tears and after being stabbed in the neck through the headrest of the car seat whilst driving home, the swords have mysteriously gone missing, although I wouldn't mind a go myself sometime...

The next major event occured whilst I was trying to have a half hour lie in, but, as usual, it was not to be. Ethan burst in, waddling along in his grobag and threw himself up on to the bed, knocking over my very full glass of water on the bedside table. The water cascaded down the wall behind straight into an electric socket. Chloe, who was downstairs watching some television, told Grandpa when the screen went black that the electricity must have gone off. She is well accustomed to her brother's antics. Anyway, Grandpa diligently dealt with the matter mopping up the water and drying out the socket and the electricity came back on. Having just read how dangerous this was on the internet, I am counting my blessings that he is still alive to tell the tale.

1 comment:

  1. Blimey you were very lucky with the electrics hun! I can understand how the swords mysteriously disapeard, by the way loving the pic!

    ReplyDelete