Thursday 18 August 2011

We are all screaming!


Week four of the holidays and we're supposed to be having a quiet one but apparently that is not to be. My two children are at each other's throats, the dog looks depressed and Mummy is tearing her hair out. My son screams for a solid hour after waking from his afternoon nap and my daughter screams louder so she is not forgotten. 

After three hectic weeks so far, I decided this would be a calm one at home doing good, old-fashioned playing in the garden, baking and craft activities. A lazy week where we don't have to be anywhere by a particular time and we can stay in our pyjamas until ten o'clock and it doesn't matter. But by lunch-time my five year old is asking where we are going today and then gets really upset when I tell her we are just staying at home. I don't remember being bothered by such a day. In fact, those are the days I savour in my memory; the one's where you can let your imagination run wild and relish your freedom. Do today's youngsters just expect everything to be planned out for them? I say, just enjoy the days it's not. 


To me a day of nothing is pure bliss. We spend so much of our lives running from A to B and forget what is important. Like making chocolate fridge cake and being a princess...


And when my mum tells me that my brother and I never made such a fuss, she's lying. This week may feel hard, but next week I'll be willing the holidays to last just a little bit longer.  

No comments:

Post a Comment