Wednesday 10 August 2011

Goldfish and Wedding Vows

Wouldn't it be great if you could train your children like you do the dog? Rosie Dog was at dog school this morning and does practically anything for a piece of sausage. Sit, down, bow, stay, twirl, you name it. It does worry me though that I seem to have more control over my dog than I do my children. Not only does she do what I ask but there are also no screaming fits or tears when she doesn't get what she wants. If she is running towards a road, I call her and she comes (unless furry rabbits are involved). If I tell her to wait, she does. If I tell her to sit, she does, but all the time my children are running around like untrained beasts. She'll listen and look at me intently when I speak to her instead of ignoring every word I say. She doesn't push me away when I cuddle her and gets really excited when I suggest going out for a walk, even in the rain.

But, like any man or beast, she is not perfect. We were invited for lunch today (children and dog). Just like a classic children's story the kids amused themselves for hours with only the odd cause for concern, whilst Rosie played with her Jack Russell friend in the garden. All seemed well until she appeared dripping wet at the back door. It wasn't raining, so we trooped outside to find the source of the water. A tell tale puddle and paw prints beside the neighbour's coveted fish pond gave her away. I'm hoping one of the prized gold fish didn't become an early supper or we may not be invited again.

For several years now the master of the house we visited has held a very special place in my daughter's heart. So special in fact, that she already has their wedding and married life planned down to the smallest detail. Her dress is going to be 'knitted' by Grandma, they are going to live in a farm house and her intended is going to be a farmer. His parents will live one side whilst we live the other. They are going to have children and lots of farm animals and Chloe is going to do all the cleaning, (I'll have to speak to her about that!). They both have photographs of each other in their bedrooms and when they hug or kiss goodbye it is like watching an old married couple. Even after her first year at school as one of only five girls in a class of twenty-six, she is still loyal to her prince, as she calls him. I wonder what the chances are of this lasting and should I be planning my wedding outfit? Of all you bloggers out there, have any of you married your childhood prince?


1 comment:

  1. I married my childhood sweetheart!
    Appartently we've known each other since I was 18 months old! (our parents are friends)
    He's been my best friend since I was 9, though we didn't get together until I was 17! We got engagged on my 18th, married when I was 22 and have now been happily married for 7 years!
    You never know, strange things do happen ;)

    ReplyDelete