Tuesday 9 August 2011

Not so pearly whites...


Today I am feeling like the World's Worst mother. I took my five year old to the dentist as she has been suffering tooth pain only to find out she has an abscess and two decayed teeth which will have to be removed. In shock, I asked the dentist what has caused this to happen and he pointed at Ethan sitting in the buggy happily chewing on a fruit stick and said "That. Sugar". I was too shocked to say that they very rarely have that kind of thing and only for a special treat or if I really do have to keep them amused, like now.

Short of kneeing the dentist in the chest and brandishing a tooth drill over his head, I let his comment simmer for a few minutes. It was no good, the simmer turned to a rapid boil. I had done everything I could to keep my children healthy, including their teeth, and I was not going to be accused otherwise:

"May I just say that I resent being tarnished with the same brush that you obviously use for your other clients. I have done my upmost to ensure my children have a healthy diet and look after their teeth. My daughter has had regular dental check up's and drinks milk like there is no tomorrow. I do not like it being implied that this is due to parental negligence".

At which he looked rather taken aback and apologised about four times in a row.

Important lesson = Accusing or even merely implying that a woman is a bad mother may result in intense physical pain somewhere below the belt.

I have just purchased my daughter the mother of all electric toothbrushes (in pink). She is not going to be the first child with dentures...

No comments:

Post a Comment